August 29, 2025 #1 Local News, Information and Event Source for the Century City/Westwood areas.

City to Move Forward With Convention Center Facelift

Convention Center
With or without an NFL franchise, Los Angeles plans to move forward with its Convention Center facelift. (Thinkstock)

With the return of an NFL team to Los Angeles in doubt, the City Council voted June 4 to move forward with a back-up plan to expand the Los Angeles Convention Center without a football stadium.

The venue was slated for an upgrade under a 2012 deal with developer AEG, which planned to build a stadium next to the convention center in downtown Los Angeles. The agreement, which expires in October, hinges on the city attracting a National Football League team.

The developer recently informed City officials talks with the league have yielded little progress.

In response, the council approved – without discussion – an alternate proposal, known as “Plan B,” that calls for adding about 300,000 square feet of space to connect the South Hall to the West Hall.

The plan would add at least 75,000 square feet of meeting room space, allowing the venue to compete for larger events, such as medical conferences, city officials said. The Convention Center’s outdoor appearance would also get a facelift.

Councilman Curren Price Jr., whose district includes the convention center, told the press after the vote that the City is “hopeful” the NFL will eventually agree Los Angeles is “an important market, a great (sports) market. But if they don’t, life will still go on.”

“If they don’t build a football stadium, we are still going to be in need of renovating the Convention Center,” he said.

The plans approved by council were advanced last week by the Economic Development Committee, which is chaired by Price.

Chief Legislative Analyst Gerry Miller told the panel that while the city’s football dreams are not over, even AEG executives have acknowledged a “collective interest” in the city moving on with its own plans to improve its convention facilities.

The pressure is on for Los Angeles “to make some decisions,” with convention center expansion projects already underway in Anaheim, San Diego, and San Francisco, legislative analyst John Wikham told the panel.

The city will now begin inviting architectural firms to take part in a design competition. Three finalist firms will be selected by August and be given $200,000 each to develop and present their proposals for the convention venue.

Mayor Eric Garcetti said last week he supports the shift to the back-up concept, saying “it’s time to modernize our Convention Center so our city attracts the nation’s largest conventions and the economic benefits they provide.”

Related Posts

(Video) The Opening of Mr. Charlie’s with Santa Monica Mayor Lana Negrete

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

Vegan burger restaurant with brightly colored decor now open on 26th street across fromthe Brentwood Country Mart. The Opening of...

California Pizza Kitchen Debuts Heart-Shaped Pizza Celebrating Swift–Kelce

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

13 Days of Engagement Pizzas, and Return of Hot Honey Flavors California Pizza Kitchen is rolling out a series of...

Culver Hotel Celebrates 101 Years With 101 Anniversary Menu and Live Music

August 28, 2025

August 28, 2025

Guests Can Enjoy a Four-Course Meal, Nightly Performances, Trivia Contest The historic Culver Hotel is celebrating its 101st anniversary this...

Westside Chefs Shine at the Manhattan Beach Food & Wine Festival in September

August 27, 2025

August 27, 2025

South Bay’s Culinary Festival Returns With Two Nights of Food, Wine, and Music Santa Monica, Westchester, Los Angeles, and West...

(Video) Come Tour The Willows Community School!

August 27, 2025

August 27, 2025

Sign up for a tour at The Willows and come see what makes our school such a vibrant, inspiring place...

Jewish Clergy Rally in Los Angeles Urging Ceasefire, Hostage Release, and Food Aid for Gaza

August 27, 2025

August 27, 2025

Two Dozen Rabbis Gathered at Israeli Consulate, Hostage’s Family Appears at Second Rally Jewish clergy from across Los Angeles County...

Metro LA’s Aug. 30 Deadline for Public Comment on Sepulveda Transit Draft EIR Approaches

August 27, 2025

August 27, 2025

Community Members Can Weigh In Before the 90-Day Comment Period Closes. Metro is reminding community members that the 90-day public...

Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Culver City, and Uni High Gear Up for Early-Season Games

August 26, 2025

August 26, 2025

The Centaurs, Eagles, Normans, and Wildcats Face Key Matchups This Week Football season is heating up across our area, with...

I-405 to See Lane Reductions, Ramp Closures as Pavement Rehab Project Continues

August 26, 2025

August 26, 2025

Drivers Should Expect Delays With Overnight Work Aug. 26–28, Sept. 5 Motorists using Interstate 405 through the Sepulveda Pass should...

Kobe Day Tribute: Lakers Welcome UCLA Newborns With Purple-and-Gold Gifts

August 26, 2025

August 26, 2025

Babies Received Adorable Care Packages in Celebration of “Kobe Day.” Families welcoming newborns at UCLA Santa Monica Medical Center and...

Suspect Arrested After Eight-Hour SWAT Standoff in Jefferson Park Shooting

August 26, 2025

August 26, 2025

 Police Say a Man Was Killed and a Suspect Barricaded Himself Inside a Home Hours after a fatal shooting near...

Attorney General Rob Bonta Secures Release of $900M in Frozen Education Funds for California

August 25, 2025

August 25, 2025

Trump Administration Agrees to Release Frozen Education Funds  California Attorney General Rob Bonta announced Friday that the Trump administration has...

“Rich Rollin” Burglary Crew Linked to 92 Break-Ins Taken Down in LAPD Operation

August 25, 2025

August 25, 2025

Ten Suspects, Including Confirmed Gang Members, Face Charges Nearly 100 residential burglaries across the city have been tied to a...

Oakley Founder Relists Beverly Hills Fortress for $65.995 Million

August 25, 2025

August 25, 2025

James Jannard’s Brutalist Mansion in Trousdale Estates For Sale The brutalist estate built by Oakley founder James Jannard is back...

18-Year-Old Woman Fatally Shot While Trying to Break Up a Fight on a Metro Bus

August 24, 2025

August 24, 2025

Police Say the Teen Was Killed in Westchester After Intervening in a Dispute  Efforts to break up a fight on...